UPSC: Central Board of Irrigation and Power (CBIP) award
Central Board of Irrigation and Power (CBIP) award:
- The Central Board of Irrigation and Power (CBIP), is a Premier Institution set up by the Government of India in the 1927.
- CBIP has been rendering dedicated services to the professional organizations, engineers and individuals in the country related to Power, Water Resources and Renewable Energy Sectors for more than eight decades.
- Dissemination of technical knowledge and information through various modes, e.g., publication of journals, manuals, technical reports, guidelines, organizing seminars and conferences and recognisation of technical excellence through bestowing awards.
- To provide training to the engineers/professionals.
- To provide consultancy services.
- To provide research and professional excellence.
- To provide linkages to Indian Engineers, Managers and Scientists with their counterparts in other countries and with international organizations.
- To establish a Technical database, technological developments and to provide information services to the professionals.
- Introduction of Latest Technologies.
The Andhra Pradesh government has bagged the Central Board of Irrigation and Power (CBIP) award for speedy execution of Polavaram multipurpose project on the Godavari river.
- Andhra Pradesh received the award in the category of “Best Implementation of Water Resources Project” for better planning, implementation and monitoring.
Polavaram Project is a multi-purpose irrigation project. The dam across the Godavari River is under construction located in West Godavari District and East Godavari District in Andhra Pradesh state and its reservoir spreads in parts of Chhattisgarh and Orissa States also.
- The project is multipurpose major terminal reservoir project on river Godavari for development of Irrigation, Hydropower and drinking water facilities to East Godavari, Vishakhapatnam, West Godavari and Krishna districts of Andhra Pradesh.
- The Polavaram project was accorded national status in 2014 in the Andhra Pradesh Bifurcation Act and its design was changed.