UAE’S TOP HONOUR FOR MODI
What’s in news?
UAE President Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan has awarded Prime Minister Narendra Modi the country’s highest civilian award, ‘the Order of Zayed’ for his contribution towards maintaining a good relation with UAE and for his efforts in their development.
- In appreciation of the PM’s efforts in reinforcing the historical and strategic ties with UAE, the UAE President who is also deputy supreme commander of the UAE’s armed forces announced the award.
- The Zayed medal is the highest civilian awarded to kings, presidents and heads of states.
- Zayed’ the name in the award is the person who is the founding father of the United Arab Emirates.
- It is awarded to Heads of Government/Head of State for their international relations with UAE. In the past, the honour has been given to leaders of several countries
- Previous recipients of the Order of Zayed include Russian President Putin, Chinese President Xi Jinping, British Queen Elizabeth II, and former Pakistan President Musharraf.
India- UAE Relations:
- India and the UAE share warm relations that received impetus after Prime Minister Modi paid a visit to the nation in 2015, according to the ministry of external affairs.
- The Crown Prince visited India in 2017 as the Chief Guest for Republic Day celebrations in New Delhi.
- UAE is one of the few countries Prime Minister Modi has visited twice.
- India-UAE commercial relations are anchored by energy cooperation, trade, investments by UAE in India and investments & businesses driven by Indian expatriates in UAE.
- UAE accounts for 8 per cent of India’s oil imports and is the fifth largest supplier of crude oil to India.
- The country is also a part of the International Solar Alliance (ISA), which is headquartered in Gurugram, India.
- India-UAE trade stood at about USD 50 billion in 2017, making India the second largest trading partner of UAE, while UAE is India’s third largest trading partner (after China and the USA).
- Moreover, UAE is India’s second largest export destination, accounting for over USD 31 billion for the year 2016-17.