SWADESH DARSAN – CHATTISGARH TRIBAL CIRCUIT
Swadesh Darshan scheme is one of the flagship schemes of the Ministry of tourism, for development of thematic circuits in the country in a planned and prioritised manner.
Development of Tribes and Tribal Culture is one of the prime area of focus for the Ministry of Tourism. The Ministry is developing the tourism infrastructure in the region under its schemes of Swadesh Darshan.
Under the tribal circuit theme of the scheme the Ministry has sanctioned 4 projects to Nagaland, Telangana and Chhattisgarh for Rs. 381.37 Crores.
Chhattisgarh is known for its exceptional scenic beauty and uniquely rich cultural heritage. The state has always been synonymous with tribes and tribal culture. Over one third of the state population is of tribes, the tribes here are unique in their lifestyles and have beautifully retained their own culture and traditions for centuries. Given the significant dominance of indigenous population in the region, the Ministry of Tourism, Government of India has selected Chhattisgarh to be included in the Swadesh Darshan Scheme under Tribal Circuit theme, with an objective to acknowledge the sovereignty of tribes, promote the rich and diverse primitive assets in the state.
Major components sanctioned include eco log huts, craft haats, souvenir shops/ kiosk, tourist reception & facilitation centres, open amphitheatre, tribal interpretation centres, workshop centres, tourist amenities centres, last mile connectivity, wayside amenities, viewpoints, nature trails, solar illuminations, signages solid waste management etc.
These components are perceived to improve existing tourist facilities and enhance the overall tourist experience, therefore, help in getting more visitors which in return will increase job opportunities in the area.
Development of Tribal Circuit: “Jashpur- Kunkuri- Mainpat- Kamleshpur- Maheshpur- Kurdar-Sarodadadar- Gangrel- Kondagaon- Nathiya Nawagaon- Jagdalpur- Chitrakoot- Tirthgarh in Chhattisgarh” implemented under the Swadesh Darshan Scheme of Ministry of Tourism, in Gangrel, Chhattisgarh on 14th September 2018.
This is the second project under the Swadesh Darshan Scheme being inaugurated in the country.
Objectives of Swadesh Darshan scheme:
- To position tourism as a major engine of economic growth and job creation;
- Develop circuits having tourist potential in a planned and prioritized manner;
- Promote cultural and heritage value of the country to generate livelihoods in the identified regions;
- Enhancing the tourist attractiveness in a sustainable manner by developing world class infrastructure in the circuit/destinations;
- Follow community based development and pro-poor tourism approach;
- Creating awareness among the local communities about the importance of tourism for them in terms of increased sources of income, improved living standards and overall development of the area.
- To create employment through active involvement of local communities;
- Harness tourism potential for its effects in employment generation and economic development.
- To make full use of the potential and advantages in terms of available infrastructure, national culture and characteristic strong points of each and every region throughout the country by development of theme based circuits.
- Development of tourist facilitation services to enhance visitor experience/satisfaction.