DEC 22 – National Mathematics Day
India celebrated 22nd December 2018 as the National Mathematics Day honouring the 131st birth anniversary of famous Indian Mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan.
- Since 2011, 22nd December is celebrated as National Mathematics Day every year.
The Indian government had also declared 2012 as the National Mathematics year.
The National Mathematics Day is celebrated to honour his contribution to the field of Mathematics and also to keep his legacy alive to inspire the future mathematicians.
SRINIVASA RAMANUJAN FRS (22 December 1887 – 26 April 1920) was an Indian mathematician who lived during the British Rule in India.
Though he had almost no formal training in pure mathematics, he made substantial contributions to mathematical analysis, number theory, infinite series, and continued fractions, including solutions to mathematical problems considered to be unsolvable.
During his short life, Ramanujan independently compiled nearly 3,900 results (mostly identities and equations).
Many were completely novel; his original and highly unconventional results, such as the Ramanujan prime, the Ramanujan theta function, partition formulae and mock theta functions, have opened entire new areas of work and inspired a vast amount of further research. Nearly all his claims have now been proven correct.
AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- In 1918, he was elected as one of the youngest Fellows in the history of Royal Society for his investigation in Elliptic functions and the Theory of Numbers.
- In the same year, he was the first Indian who was honoured by being elected as a Fellow of Trinity College.
- Posthumous Recognition
- 22 December is celebrated as State IT Day in Tamil Nadu.
- On his 75th birth anniversary, the Government of India released a stamp picturing Ramanujan.
- Government Arts College, Kumbakonam where he studied and at the IIT Madras in Chennai celebrate 22 December as Ramanujan Day.
- In 2011, the Government of India declared 22 December as National Mathematics Day.
- In 2012, then Prime Minister Manmohan Singh declared the year as National Mathematics Year.